From the time that Ellie could acknowledge words we have been attempting (with pleasing success) to teach her good manners. I am around tons of high school students each day that are seriously lacking manners. From about nine months she started signing thank you and continued to sign constantly until about a year ago. Now she talks no stop and signing would not be quick enough for her.
Last night Bob and I were relaxing on the couch watching the ACM's and Ellie who claimed to be tired and ready for bed (very out of the ordinary) was in our room watching her nightly cartoons. She would come out and visit us when a show would go off and ask us "what's next." At one point she had crawled up in my lap and started acting silly and blowing bubbles to the point that is would be considered spitting. I ask her three times to stop before she finally got the message. She climb, hung her head to the ground and walked back into the room.
We did not think anything of it, and then about 10 minutes later she come back into the living room and mumbles something. I ask her to come closer and speak louder, and she repeats herself, "I sorry, Mommy." AHHH that just melted my heart. I don't know what was worse, the fact she said I'm sorry or that she had been thinking about her actions that entire time and she knew what she needed to do.
I am so blessed to have a thoughful and respectful daughter. I just hope that one day her high school teachers will say the same thing about her as a student.
1 comment:
That's my sweetheart. She is the polities child I know. Not just saying that because she's my granddaughter.
Post a Comment