Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Never Gets Easier

One of the hardest things about teaching is becoming close to the students over the years. You form connections, listen to their stories, watch them grow into adults (well some of them). At Scottsburg I taught two subject in multi-levels, so I would have some kids all four years. You really get to know those kids. Over the weekend I saw on Facebook that one of my students who graduated last year was killed in a single car accident. I did not have him in class last year, but everyday he would walk past my class during passing period and tell me good morning with a smile on his face.

I drove to Madison tonight to attend his viewing. It was hard seeing my past students/his friends so broken. But what made me more sad was his mother alone by his side to greet everyone coming in. Attending a viewing of a 19 year old is so different then that of an older person. There is always a void and the normal "he lived a good life," or "she accomplished so much in blank years," does not fit.

Please say a prayer for this family and his friends as they seek to find understanding in this time of trial.

No comments: