
A Semi in a tree
Aerial View of Henryville
I have no idea where or how to start this post. But I sit her in awe of the events that occurred today. So let me start from the beginning.
It was storming this morning on the way to work, and it rained most of the morning. The NWS had be predicting bad weather for our area for a few days. But this morning they updated our risk of severe weather from moderate to high, with a probability of tornadoes at 40% (the highest it goes). It was not shaping up to be a very fun day.
I have a senior in my second to last class of the day who wants to be a meteorologist, so when he came in we were analyzing the radar and forecast together. It was not looking good. It seemed as if the storms were coming straight for us and quickly. As the end of the school day neared, it seemed as if it was going to hit right at the time school was letting out. Parents started calling to sign their kids out. Then five minutes before we were dismissed we were put into our tornado shelter areas. A few minutes later we would start to get reports that Henryville had been hit (around 3:00). Then about twenty minutes later we would hear that Marysville was "flattened." At this point I was really getting scared--we are very close to there. Around 3:30 we were sent back into our rooms only to be put back into our safe zones five minutes later because another storm was headed our way. On the radar (I had my ipad by my side the entire time-I was not going to be in the know) the second tornado was heading straight for us. But it suddenly just suddenly headed north. At that time all I could do was praise God and then try to check on my house. I knew it must have been really bad because I was getting text from all over the country. One of my good friends from Portland, even called to see if we were ok.
Bob had left work early to head to his mom and dad's where the girls were. He said that he was pretty sure the house was ok, but my friend Cindy who lives close by drove past shortly after the storm had passed. She said that all was well with the horses and the house.
We finally were released from school about 4:30. I went to Bob and Janet's to get the girls. Bob had already left, and Janet was cooking dinner. Sue came in and ask me if I would go with her to check on her properties (she is a realtor). She had to attempt to get into Lexington. So I went with her. Wow! Marysville was pretty bad. We checked on her properties and then headed back to get the girls and meet up with Bob who was returning from helping with the search and rescue.
Here is the NWS official reports on today's tornadoes.
I know we serve an awesome God, and I know that God did not do this. I just pray for all those who lost their lives and homes.

No comments:
Post a Comment