We got to Karol's house about 10:00 on Friday night. We caught up for a bit, but the three of us were exhausted. So we got settled in and fell asleep fast.
Saturday morning, Karol wanted us to do all things Portland. We started the morning with an amazing breakfast at Bob's Red Mill. I had no idea what there was for us to do, so I told her to be our guide. Now Portland is known for it's overly rainy days, but I will get back to that in a few. It had been drizzling rain, but Karol assured us it should quit soon. So we drove into downtown Portland, she lives in an outside suburb. We parked and started to walk. We toured the Saturday market and then took a look at the world's smallest park--no really here it is. :)
As we were walking farther away from her car, the rain started to come down heavier. I was simply amazed at how many people were still out and about regardless of the rain. At home if it is raining you do not see too many people out (me included). We went to Powell's Bookstore (the largest Independent Book Seller in the country). The book store was massive. I could have spent hours (and lots of money) in there. Jimmy Carter was coming to Powell's on Sunday for a book signing. I was super excited about this. We had to buy the book today in order to get in line tomorrow. After Powell's we stopped by Starbuck to warm up and let the rain die down. After sitting at Starbuck's for about an hour, we realized that the rain was not going to stop, so we were just going to have to start heading back to the car. When we were about five soaking blocks away it started to hail. Yes, hail. At this point in time our day had become comical. We were all soaked and cold. We finally made it. Before we headed back to Karol's house we stopped by Voodoo Doughnuts. And all I can say is YUMMY!!! Yes that one on the top has bacon on it.
We came back to her house to dry off and warm up. We rested a bit, before we headed out for dinner and a movie. They have Cinetopias in Portland. The concept was awesome. You get there early and have a nice comfy chair with a foot stool. Then they come around and take your dinner order. So we really had dinner and movie in the same place. We saw Noah. While we criticized the lack of Biblical truth the entire time, it was fun just spending time with Karol and in such a neat atmosphere.
On Sunday we got up, ate breakfast and then Karol and I headed back into Portland. Bob stayed back at her house to get caught up on some work (I think he just wanted a few minutes to rest). The weather was a little chilly, but the sun was out every once in a while, so that was much improved. We had until 2:00 until the Jimmy Carter signing so we went to visit the Chinese Gardens. They were so beautiful, and I was glad to be sharing the first time experience with Karol (her first time too).
We had some yummy tea (earl gray for me)
It did take us a minute to figure out how to drink it.
We also had a light snack to hold us over.
This man was doing beautiful work and we of course had to get something of our own
Next we went to Powell's to get in line for Pres. Carter. When we got there at noon we were at 474 in line. Waiting in a bookstore is not so bad (especially since we were inside). They had so many fun and interesting books to look at. Finally the line started to move and we were out of Powells and back in her car by 2:20. Later that night we got Thai takeout. We got back pretty early because Karol had to go back to school on Monday.
On Monday, I went with Bob to Hermitage, OR to visit a plant. It was one of the most beautiful drives I have ever been on. The Cascade Mts were gorgeous. We stopped in The Dalles to have breakfast per suggestion from Karol. One the way back we found the Gorge and Falls that were absolutely beautiful. We came back to Karol's around the time she was getting home from school. Then we went out and grabbed a quick dinner. It was such a nice visit with Karol, as always I was sad to say goodbye. But we were SOOO ready to see our girls. I am so thankful for technology because we were able to facetime them each morning and afternoon. This was such an great Spring Break and the best part was that we still had nearly a week left. I love balance calendar.
















No comments:
Post a Comment