...patience is a virtue. We have just had our 4th night without power, and shockingly all I have not reached the end of my patience as many people have. Even though it is aggervating not having power, I keep looking to the bright side (beautiful weather, no rain, no damage, no school, and extra time to spend with Ellie).
Let me start by giving the background information for the lack of power (I am turing this blog into a book for Ellie). On Sunday September 14 the remnants of Hurrican Ike swept through Northern Kentucky and Southern Indiana. I had warned my students on Friday that this could be bad. Ike would be mixing with a cold front, and I told them that it was likely there could be a lot of damage. When I told them that I had no idea what we were in for on Sunday.
Sunday started like other typical Sunday afternoon, Bob was working in the garage, and I was washing clothes and cleaning up the hurricane that comes through our house each week. I could tell each time I walked outside that the wind was picking up, but it was actually kinda nice around 11:30. So I decided that Ellie and I needed some fresh air. We saddled up the lawnmower (Ellie loves to ride while I am cutting grass) and began cutting the much needed lawn. Needless to say we only got about half way done before the wind was so unbearable. Ellie had fallen asleep so I passed her to Bob while I quickly tried to finish up. I was not successful. Grass clipping traveling at 25-30 mph hurt when they hit any part of your skin (clothed or unclothed). Bob was still working in the garage when I decided it would be best to take Ellie inside the house (she was asleep in the garage). I laid her down and decided to take a nap with her while I waited for the Colts game to come on (YAH GO Colts!!--we have taught Ellie how to throw her hands in the air when we say "Go Colts" it is too cute).
After only a few minutes we lost power. Then Bob left to respond to one of the many fire runs that were coming in. After listening to run after run, I knew that the situation was bad. I tried to keep busy but ever time I looked outside and saw the corn stalk across the street touching the ground I felt more uneasy. Chloe was very anxious as well, she paced the house and would lay on the floor curled up in a tight ball. Then around 2:30 I began to fell the house move occiasonally, this prompted me to call Bob to come get us out.
He arrived shortly to take us to his mom and dad's in town. They were without power also, but have a gas stove where his mother was cooking dinner. Bob had to cut four trees to get to our house, he was at the house maybe 20 minutes to resupply. When we left he had to cut two more trees to get back out. We finally made it to town, only to see so much destructiobn along the way. I knew that it would be a long time before we got power back.
Bob was out responding to runs all night, and I think he finally came in around midnight Sunday night. We just decided to stay at Bob's parents instead of driving back to the house.
Let me start by giving the background information for the lack of power (I am turing this blog into a book for Ellie). On Sunday September 14 the remnants of Hurrican Ike swept through Northern Kentucky and Southern Indiana. I had warned my students on Friday that this could be bad. Ike would be mixing with a cold front, and I told them that it was likely there could be a lot of damage. When I told them that I had no idea what we were in for on Sunday.
Sunday started like other typical Sunday afternoon, Bob was working in the garage, and I was washing clothes and cleaning up the hurricane that comes through our house each week. I could tell each time I walked outside that the wind was picking up, but it was actually kinda nice around 11:30. So I decided that Ellie and I needed some fresh air. We saddled up the lawnmower (Ellie loves to ride while I am cutting grass) and began cutting the much needed lawn. Needless to say we only got about half way done before the wind was so unbearable. Ellie had fallen asleep so I passed her to Bob while I quickly tried to finish up. I was not successful. Grass clipping traveling at 25-30 mph hurt when they hit any part of your skin (clothed or unclothed). Bob was still working in the garage when I decided it would be best to take Ellie inside the house (she was asleep in the garage). I laid her down and decided to take a nap with her while I waited for the Colts game to come on (YAH GO Colts!!--we have taught Ellie how to throw her hands in the air when we say "Go Colts" it is too cute).
After only a few minutes we lost power. Then Bob left to respond to one of the many fire runs that were coming in. After listening to run after run, I knew that the situation was bad. I tried to keep busy but ever time I looked outside and saw the corn stalk across the street touching the ground I felt more uneasy. Chloe was very anxious as well, she paced the house and would lay on the floor curled up in a tight ball. Then around 2:30 I began to fell the house move occiasonally, this prompted me to call Bob to come get us out.
He arrived shortly to take us to his mom and dad's in town. They were without power also, but have a gas stove where his mother was cooking dinner. Bob had to cut four trees to get to our house, he was at the house maybe 20 minutes to resupply. When we left he had to cut two more trees to get back out. We finally made it to town, only to see so much destructiobn along the way. I knew that it would be a long time before we got power back.
Bob was out responding to runs all night, and I think he finally came in around midnight Sunday night. We just decided to stay at Bob's parents instead of driving back to the house.
Bob clearing tree number 2 to get out
Trees completely uprooted
Ellie showing off her new trick of doing forward rolls using pillows
No comments:
Post a Comment