Thursday, May 15, 2014

Back Again

Tuesday I had to go back for a normal blood work check for my platelets. I had been battling allergies for over a week, and I was pretty sure that my counts had dropped. I even remember telling one of my students that I would likely end up back in the hospital.

It took forever to get my results back and it was so low the first time it came back that they ran it a couple of time to make sure it was accurate. It was pretty low and back in the hospital I went.

I have no problems giving blood once a week at the doctor's office. The RN's there are amazing and do such a great job. But when I have been to the hospital the last two times they were awful. It took six sticks to get the blood they needed and they had to call an RN from labor and delivery to start my IV. She was amazing and got the job done, but the damage had already been done. Then only once in the five times they came back to get blood did they get blood on the first time. I counted in the two days that I had to stay there that I was stuck 16 times. My poor arms hurt so bad and look awful.

I was hoping this was going to be like last time, less than 24 hours and I was on the mend. But my body had other plans. When my labs came back on Wednesday morning, my numbers had gone up some, which was good, but when they were done again that afternoon they had dropped again. So my doctor said that I had to stay another night with more steroids going in. BOO. I was not happy about this.

Not only was I disappointed about the steroids, but I was going to have to miss something that I look forward to each school year. We have a banquet to celebrate all the students who earned an Academic Honors Diploma. These students get to invite their parents as well as a teacher that they would like to thank for helping in their success. Not only had I worked for months to put the entire event together, but I was also being honored by one of my students. I was completely heartbroken and so disappointed that I had to miss this. The two things that made it better was Mom and Dad bringing the girls to see me and the student sent me a picture of what she said at the banquet.

This morning my numbers came in up, so I was released and home by 1:00.

Oh and another note I want to remember; my AP Government students took their AP Exam on Tuesday. After the exam they came back to me to share that they felt so prepared and confident on the test. I am always so nervous and want to make sure that I was the best teacher for them. I cannot wait until July when the score are released to see how awesome they all did.

No comments: